Thursday, January 3, 2008

Make it great in 2008

Happy New Year

Ah, the time of year when we begin with a fresh page, transition from the past into the future. Is there another more universal time that this happens in the world? Exciting. It is up to us. And it's up to all of us.


I encourage you to set (at least) one goal for your personal health. We all have the capacity to take one new step. We are learning that health is not something that you are good at or bad at, and it's not something you take on or put away. It's a way of living. We have control and choice over the greatest part of our health status. Research is even showing that how we live impacts our genetic
Omega-3s from fish oil are an integral part of healthy living. I've stated before the need of getting them through diet and supplements. High quality fish oil, such as PharmaOmega LIFE (pharmaomega.com) is an excellent, simple and easy way to get your daily dose in one capsule, or take more for specific health conditions.

This is also the time of year when a strong immune system is your best friend. The fats in fish oil have been shown to promote healthy immune functioning in adults, seniors and children. From the back-to-work-and-school colds and flu to more chronic conditions these essential ‘good for you’ fats support good immune health.

4 comments:

Artemis Lisserman said...

I stopped taking fish oil capsules for a month and I noticed that I wasnt feeling as good. I cannot describe what exactly I was feeling, but I feel much better when I take at least 1 Omega-3 softgel per day. My favorite Omega-3 supplement can be found at http://www.PharmaOmega.com, they have a bulk deal of 6 boxes and I love the fact that it comes in a small pocket pack. I put it in my pocket and go. Its great. I am not just saying that. I couldnt see myself drinking fish oil, but taking PharmaOmega's Life product is a good compromise. I know there are a lot of great products out there but I am used to taking this one. My new year's resolution is to take Omega-3 for entire 2008 and see how I feel.

Al said...

Do you have any comments about the article in this week's Globe & Mail that downplays the importance of fish oil to heart health? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080115.wlfishoil15/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

I remember having spoonfuls of cod liver oil as a child. These days I eat only pastured or grassfed bison, elk, and chickens/eggs which I hope is enough Omega-3 for me since I don't really enjoy oily fish.

Gretchen Vannice, MS, RD said...

Hello Al. Thank you for your query. Please see the posting I wrote in response. And, you must live in Canada if you eat grass fed bison and elk. I was raised in Canada and have eaten plenty of moose meat. Plants do provide omega-3, but they do not supply DHA, an essential omega-3 fat most notably known for it's benefit for brain function and it's role in eye health. Would you consider a high grade fish oil supplement?

Gretchen Vannice, MS, RD said...

Thank you, Al, for your inquiry regarding the recent Canadian publication (Jenkins, et al, 2008). Here’s a short comment: This paper reviewed other studies that looked at giving fish oil to people with implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs). This paper is what it is. These results cannot be extrapolated to the healthy
In 2003, the American Heart Association made a Statement recommending omega-3s from fish or fish oil for people at-risk for heart disease, and higher doses for people with high triglycerides. Link here: http://www.pharmaomega.com/shop/library/article.aspx?id=315&catid=1.
population, people with a family history of heart disease or even the majority of people with heart disease. That is largely why you haven’t seen much mention of this paper in the press.

There are a myriad of studies completed with fish oil and heart health (link here to one review article: http://www.pharmaomega.com/shop/library/article.aspx?id=316&catid=1).

Your mother was wise to give you cod liver oil as a child. Isn’t it great that fish oil tastes so much better now! There are a wealth of benefits in adulthood when children consume marine source omega-3s in childhood. If you would like more information on this, please write again.