Monday, June 16, 2008

Could fish oil omega-3s have prevented Tim Russert's death?

Like you, I heard the tragic news on Saturday morning. I was struck by how shocked and saddened I was by the loss of someone I really didn't know, yet just like Peter Jennings, I lived like I knew Tim Russert. My heart goes out to the Russert family.

At first I wasn't sure if my sadness was due to the disruption this will be to my Sunday morning ritual of watching him on Meet the Press (selfish of me), or the loss of a skilled journalist who worked hard to identify and bring-a-voice to genuine issues in this country, or simply the loss of a 58-year-old man who had a great smile, before his time.

Personally, it's a bit of all of the above, and as a Nutrition Scientist I consider the science and am frustrated by the lack of public knowledge. In the research arena we know that consumption of EPA and DHA from fish oil significantly reduces risk of sudden cardiac death by a whopping 36 – 60%. Powerful information that has not reached the public.

Given that two-thirds of the time, sudden cardiac death happens in people without indication of heart disease and their first sign of heart disease is death, IF we could do something about it, shouldn’t we? We can.

13 years ago a study involving 885 adults reported that those with a higher intake of omega-3s from seafood (EPA and DHA) had a 60% lower risk of sudden cardiac death compared to those with a low intake of omega-3s (JAMA, 1995). Sixty percent! There was a 10-times higher risk for unpredicted heart-related death in people who consumed no omega-3 EPA and DHA. The ‘higher’ intake of omega-3s was just below 500 mg omega-3 EPA and DHA, about half of what the American Heart Association currently recommends for prevention (not treatment). We know alot more about fish oil today.

This month, a scientific paper reviewed several types of studies, looking at omega-3 intake and risk for cardiac death (AJCN, 2008). Combined results from 15 large studies are these: Risk of sudden death was reduced by 36% from consuming only 250 mg omega-3 per day. The paper also discussed 4 clinical trials. The summary: Whether you have heart disease or not, you can reduce your risk of sudden cardiac death up to 33% with omega-3s.

Your Take Home Message: More than half of the people who die from sudden cardiac death have no indication of heart disease and their first indication is death. Evidence shows you can reduce your risk for a heart-related death up to 36% from consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3. Experts agree a minimum of 700 mg EPA + DHA per day is best, and 1000 mg is a better minimum intake for those at risk. These are minimum levels. I’m referring to mg of EPA and DHA, not mg of fish oil. Read the label.

PS. I look forward to the day when simple-to-do and proven Nutrition Prevention prevails in our culture. Research suggests that more unwarranted deaths could be prevented. Granted, I do not know if Mr. Russert consumed fish oil, nor do I know his health details. Regardless, please use this information for good.

No comments: